Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Whole New World

Sometimes it’s hard to tell what exactly you’re in for when you’re heading in to a performance like World of Dance. It’s an assignment, which makes you wonder if you would really go if you didn’t have to. Maybe you don’t know much about dancing, so you’re not sure if it’s going to mean anything to you. The second the show opens though, you’ve made up your mind: it’s worth it.

I don’t think they could have chosen a more appropriate title for the show. The performance truly opened my eyes to a world of unique cultures and traditions spanning both great distances and times. From the moment the fist performance began, I found myself entranced by the intricacies of the set, costumes, and choreography. The dancers so personified the essence of their piece, that I found myself wishing that I could know more about that culture, and experience that time.

Not only did the performance open my eyes to the world around me, but also exposed me to the world of dance itself. The precision and beauty with which the dancers present their numbers allows the audience to catch a glimpse of the dedication requisite of a life in dancing. It was clear that each performer truly loved what they were doing. They loved being on the stage, and inspiring feelings of awe and appreciation. They loved personifying foreign cultures and eras through their art. Most of all, I think they loved the effect they had on the audience.

As my friends and I exited the De Jong Concert Hall, a beaming performer came up to us and thanked us for coming. He didn’t stay long, waiting eagerly for us to compliment him, he just wanted to let us know that he loves what he does and he was glad we could be there to see it. I was glad I could be there to see it too.

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree that this performance opened my eyes. I also was convinced it was totally worth it once the show started. I loved the tone set by the first piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your essay. I think that it captured the feeling that was at the World of Dance very well. I'm assuming that your use of the word 'fist' in the second paragraph probably was 'first.' Excellent writing though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree completely. I had similar feelings, but like you I concluded that it was worth going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austin caught my comment already. Don't you hate it when the letter you leave out leaves the word still a word so you don't even catch it! I thoroughly enjoyed the performances as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with what you said! The only thing you might do is elaborate on why it was so fantastic and eye opening, you make pretty general statements like good costumes, great technique. The story at the end with the dancer is really good, and also specific. It shows how you know that the dancers are in it for fun and not just for props.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that is the worst when spell check doesn't grab it! haha thanks though! Yeah Erika I know what you mean. I was a little nervous to be too specific since I don't know anything about dance but I could probably stand to add some more specifics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we're assigned to go to stuff like this, it's easy for me to drag my feet and complain and groan wondering how this is related to a writing class. However, I'm so happy she did give us this assignment! I would love more excuses to go to things like this where I normally would not have made time to go. Good writing!

    ReplyDelete