Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Allow Beards at BYU (Email Rough Draft)

Dear President of the Honor Code Office,

I would like to call into question BYU’s current policy concerning facial hair. As it stands, beards are not allowed, however male students may grow a moustache if they wish. I find these two policies contradicting.

I am confused as to the difference between a beard and a moustache. Both are forms of facial hair. If the purpose of banning the beard is for a clean-shaven male populous, allowing the moustache is contradictory. I believe that either all facial hair should be banned or beards should be allowed.

Now, I do not suggest that there be no rules about facial hair. Just as men’s haircuts are given specific guidelines, so should the beard. In fact, the current rules for growing a beard if obtaining a beard card would work well. Full, well-kept beards can be just as wholesome as a clean-shaven face.

The Honor Code has been updated and expanded to keep up with the growing times. I believe that it is now time to allow men at BYU to grow beards. There is nothing morally wrong with it, and the Honor Code Office has issued no explanation for its prohibition.

Thank you for your time,
Jessica Swenson

7 comments:

  1. So true. The moustache is probably the most hideous form of facial hair imaginable, and I find it outrageous that they are allowed when tasteful facial hair is not. Good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think facial hair should be up to the wearer. In some cultures NOT having a beard is disgraceful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree. Many of the prophets had some really nice beards. The separation of the chin and the upper lip is a couple inches. It's not in any way immodest for me to cover my chin with a little "scruff," especially if it's kept fairly neat. You're right, it's time to update the Honor Code!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this paper immensely because I totally agree! It is frustrating to see some of my friends turned away from long lines in the student employment office because of a little stubble. Some moustaches that are allowed portray an unkempt man more than a beard. I also liked how you structured the entire thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally agree with this statement. As long as hair of any kind is kept neat, hygienic and in a clean manner I believe any hairstyle/facial hair should be allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesss! I agree that facial hair should be allowed too. However, I like how you included a statement on how there should be SOME rules regarding facial hair. With that sentence, you are proposing more of a compromise, rather than simply stating you think you're right and the people you are addressing are wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES!!!! This made me laugh because it is so true. Personally, I think they should get rid of the facial hair thing altogether. Moustaches are gross.

    ReplyDelete