Monday, September 13, 2010

Engagement in Provo?

Dear Daily Universe,

When an LDS girl tells her friends and family that she's chosen to go to Brigham Young University to earn a quality education, what is typically the very first response she gets? "Oh you're going to get married your first semester!" This can become very tiresome. However, is this just a typical stereotype or is it real fact? Either way, it can become an irritating phrase. I know from experience!

A lot of the time, it seems like the Church and University focus a lot on getting married right away and starting a family. These, of course, are very good things, but we, as Freshman, are not quite ready for that phase in life.


With that said, today I picked up the Daily Universe and turned to an article titled "Getting engaged in Provo," and almost didn't want to read it! With Elder Scott's recent talk on marriage, I didn't think I could take any more. Don't get me wrong, it was still a wonderful talk; just not relevant to me right now. However, I decided to read the article anyways, and found it very engaging! Instead of talking about becoming "engaged" with a ring and a date, it spoke of becoming "engaged" in the community and getting involved. It was so refreshing!
Thank you so much for focusing on something besides marriage! It makes me want to go out and join ten clubs just in support of “community engagement!” Keep up the good work.

Sincerely a Grateful Reader,

Haley Wright


7 comments:

  1. I have noticed the pressure on women to get married too. I find it tiresome myself, even though it is not directed at me personally! I am glad that you found an article that focused on something else. If I wrote an article and read this kind of response to it, I would find much satisfaction. Great letter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting engaged in the community? That's such a good idea--and a good way to grab your attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had this exact same thought process! It was definitely a nice surprise when it turned out to be about community involvement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I can't decide if that article title is a fail or a win. In fact, I totally skipped it over because of those reasons, but I went back and read it now. It was a great article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be careful in mentioning Elder Scott... you'll turn your audience off if it sounds like you might be critiquing an apostle, or dismissing his words as irrelevant to you now. He actually addressed that in his talk--said that it will be relevant to you and is still useful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Good idea! I didn't even think of it like that. I definitely don't want to go against an apostle! Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete