Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Doesn't Get Any Better Than This

Ping Pong is arguably one of the highest forms of entertainment I have ever encountered. The exploration of friendship, competition, and the spirit of athleticism makes for a compelling story that would entertain even the most cynical viewer. I came out of the theater with a much greater appreciation for Japanese culture, and the game of ping-pong. I found myself uplifted by Peco’s carefree and joyous demeanor, inspired by Smile’s fierce determination and unfailing kindness, and motivated by the essence of the sport.

Not only did the film’s storyline reflect the nature and values of the Japanese people, but the filming techniques presented a similar representation as well. There were several instances when certain techniques were evident, but perhaps the most obvious effect came during the semifinal round of the tournament. Just prior to Peco’s defeat of the defending champion, known as the “Dragon,” the two competitors are transported to an ethereal location in which the audience disappears, leaving only the two players and the ping-pong table, surrounded by infinite white space. This instance seems to reflect an idea of a peaceful, transcendental state of mind. Such outlooks are often related to Asian culture, and are not typically seen in America.

A second example that seems to be extremely indicative of the film’s Japanese nature comes when Smile’s coach is reflecting on his final ping-pong match. “Butterfly Joe,” as he was often known, is seen in a state of deep concentration in the locker room, adorned with a set of butterfly wings. The laughter from the audience at this point was evidence enough that such a scene would not typically be found in American movie making. It does, however, seem to depict a certain relationship with nature that is generally associated with those of Asian descent.

I do not think I could have picked a better film for this project. Ping Pong was inspirational, amusing, educational, and just plain good. I would choose it for a weekend flick or a date any day.

4 comments:

  1. Yay! Somebody else other than me also liked this movie!

    I thought Dragon was the kid who didn't have the natural talent for Ping Pong?

    I totally agree with you on the cultural aspects of the film. I think a lot of people found it boring because they're not used to the long reflective scenes, or other elements which are also a big part of many Japanese films.

    Also, not really related, what do you think is the deal with Butterfly Joe? Did you notice how often the camera panned to the butterfly logos? While I can come up with some reasons to link the two together, I'm not really sure what that was about. Any insights?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah yes!! Oh I was thinking that was Demon, but I definitely could have gotten them mixed up...

    Yeah I feel like it would maybe be helpful to understand what kind of cultural significance the butterfly has in Japan, but since I have no idea, I can't really come up with anything solid. I also thought the whole star/moon thing was interesting. It seemed like Peco was wearing a shirt with a star symbol on it all the time, whereas Smile only wore his moon shirt intermittently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted to go see this movie, and now I think you've convinced me. It sounds like a lovely and heartwarming film with bouts of hilariousness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting! I like that curtural connection. I didn't think about it that way, I just thought it was kinda cheesy hahah.

    ReplyDelete