Wednesday, September 29, 2010

It's All Good

Achievement. Success. Wealth. Authority. Words we usually associate with greatness could also be used to describe the criminality of Al Capone. The words we should really use are those such as goodness, compassion, and peace. And although I may not be able to define exactly the formula that makes something great, I can tell you about things that are great, and why they posses that element of greatness. Greatness is a case by case inspection, not a mass produced, FDA-certified product, just like in the examples of greatness that we encounter everyday.

When I think of greatness, I think of snowcones on summer days, of my mom, and of Buddha. Although these are all completely different things, they all gave me a feeling of balance in the world and in my life; they are great to me. Snowcones bring back memories of my family and I just being together and enjoying each other's company – something that truly makes me feel the greatness of the world and the mercy of God. My mom is another prime example of greatness. She is crazy, weird, embarrassing, funny, helpful, compassionate, and extremely generous. She watches NCIS religiously, but is always ready to help anyone in our ward or make someone a meal (even if it is just pasta). The meshing of these qualities makes her great; she is both human and godly in one mortal body. When I think of Buddha, I feel like I'm in the center of the circle of the world, ready to handle whatever comes my way with grace and poise. I feel ready to do my best and be great in the sight of God.

There is one other prime example of greatness in my life: Jesus Christ. He was, and is, capable of the greatest love, the greatest sacrifice, and the greatest example for us to emulate. He, “the greatest of all,” is our Savior and loves us so much that He suffered to redeem each one of us – me, and you – so we could live with Him again (D&C 19:18).

If that's not great, then I don't know what is.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you came right out with your definition of greatness. You took a very solid point and I loved the examples you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powerful! I got the chills when I was reading this! It made me stop and evaluate what I feel is greatness in my life. Great job Dottie! You're a fantastic writer and bring some wonderful elements and examples into your work. Keep it up girl! You are GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked how you separated the your definition from how the world views greatness. It's a good point; we need to remember what's truly important in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, points for Al Capone reference(I have a slight history-crush on him). Also, I was totally thinking Pi when you mentioned Buddha. I really loved this. I was initially worried that you were trying to tackle too broad of a subject, but this was just great! :)

    ReplyDelete