Wednesday, September 8, 2010

BCS System Revamp

Dear Mr. Hancock, (Bill Hancock is the BCS Executive Director)

I am writing this to you in regards to the seriously flawed system in place that determines which NCAA football teams go to bowls and the national championship. I am referring too, of course, the BCS system. Right now, three components determine the BCS ranking system. Computer rankings, the AP poll, and the coach’s poll are all part of the three part system. As two of these components do not include impartial judges, I submit the idea of ridding the NCAA of the BCS system. Many times a team is given a chance because they ‘are always good’. The system as it is now might not allow the deserving team a chance. This leads into my next point. Every year, fans and entire teams feel cheated out of what they deserve. What they deserve is a chance to play bigger teams and in bigger games. With that being said, I submit a 32 team tournament, styled like the NCAA March Madness tournament for basketball. Take the winner of every conference, and a couple of other well deserving independent teams, and put them into the tournament. I can see the arguments against this. Some might say it would diminish the importance of the regular season. I argue that it would not in any way diminish this. Instead, use the regular season games to determine seeding in the tournament. Because of this system, many teams would get a shot at a Cinderella story. This way, a football championship becomes tangible for many teams. Competition would be increased dramatically, as teams would realize their own fate lies in their hands. Judges do not have to be impressed. I hope that you would consider such a system. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Spencer Tolson

6 comments:

  1. Good point, and valid in light of the recent BYU conference decision. I enjoy your article and you obviously know what you are talking about.

    What I would suggest is that to make it easier to read, you divide clearly into paragraphs so its easier to read, with indentation and so forth. The writing is good, but its hard to read as a post when it is left so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that the BCS is a seriously flawed system, but stating so in the first line seems to be attacking Mr. Hancock. If you could open your argument in a way that is less critical in the beginning, I believe your email would make more headway in the fight for a fair college football championship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job spencer! Your argument is well thought out and makes total sense. Good point about teams that are "always good" getting recognition in place of teams that might be more deserving that year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I think my final draft will be a little more polished and structured! I appreciate the suggestion from Emily. I believe that is something that would help my email be taken seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good argument I couldn't agree more! On the final maybe to better support your claim you could possibly go deeper into a few of their counter arguments that you mentioned and explain a little more why the pros outweigh the cons. Overall, great email and topic though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your proposed system and I whole-heartedly agree with the need for change in the BCS. I think your argument is good but I think it does not address the topic of the existence of bowl games with your new system. Also, you should emphasize how much money this new system might make cause I think it is more about money for these guys. Just some things to think about. But awesome article and I hope it actually happens one day.

    ReplyDelete