Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Tunnel Singing

To Whom It May Concern:

BYU is built upon tradition. It is traditions that connect present students with those of the past and build camaraderie and campus unity. One of my favorite traditions on campus is tunnel singing. Tunnel singing is an amazing way for students to share in the spirit that music brings and to celebrate the wonderful blessings that are mission calls. However, tunnel singing has one flaw: It starts too late at night.

Currently, tunnel singing commences at 10pm and finishes around 11pm. By the time students return home and get in bed, it can be almost midnight, which doesn’t leave much time for sleep when you have morning classes. Personally, I have an 8am class on Monday morning. I need to sleep to be prepped for the day. When I go to tunnel singing, I usually leave early in order to get home and get to bed. Leaving early causes me to miss the second half of hymns, which are usually the most spiritual songs of the night. Many other students are in this same predicament. Friends have told me that they would love to participate in tunnel singing but that it is just too late, so they don’t go.

It is unfair for students to miss out on tradition because of an error in scheduling. No one has been able to give a legitimate reason why tunnel singing begins at 10pm. There are no classes on Sundays. Ward prayer is over by 8:30 at the latest, and is the last church oriented activity of the night. Why then 10pm?

I propose that the start time of tunnel singing be moved to 9pm. This would allow and encourage more students to participate. With more students involved, the tradition will grow stronger and live on. Most importantly, it will bring more students together, which is the reason it was started in the first place.

3 comments:

  1. I liked your argument - there really isn't a whole lot going on Sundays to interfere, so why not make it earlier? Your argument follows the pattern in Ch. 2 of Writing & Rhetoric; your assumption is something that everyone thinks is obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that 10 o'clock is a bit late, but I actually have ward prayer at 9 and it has been almost 10 before it has gotten over. So maybe you could suggest that ward prayers are earlier, too? Good thinking though! I think more people would attend if they could still get the sleep they need.

    ReplyDelete