Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Enter To Learn-and Marry!

Dear (person to be decided),

When you walk through the front door to Horne Hall one of the first things you will notice is an engraving on the brick wall. This relief depicts an engagement ring encircled by one ominous word: June.

It seems like every where I go at BYU the message of BYU has been slightly altered. Enter to learn-and get married!

I know that Brigham Young University is a great place to meet individuals who share my values, but give me a break! I’m eighteen, a freshman, and nearly completely dependent on my parents financially! Most freshman guys haven’t gone on their missions yet and most of the freshman ladies are living on their own for the very first time. Neither group is ready to marry.

Logically, I know that our leaders acknowledge that the students of BYU are all in different levels of progression. These reminders about the worthiness of potential mates here in Provo are largely targeted to older students. As a freshman, however, the constant focus on marriage is both stressful and annoying. Both the closing speech for New Student Orientation, as well as the opening devotional spoke about the importance of trying to find a spouse here at BYU. I, along with approximately 20% of the undergraduate students don’t need to be thinking of marriage for several years to come. If there is any way to do so, can the speakers at BYU please tone down the marriage theme, at least when talking to us freshmen?

Happily Single,

Erika Hunt

5 comments:

  1. I feel the same way! As my roommate said, we've been mobbed with marriage since we set foot on this campus! When I tell people I'm going to BYU they tell me to send them an invitation to the wedding before the year's done. Marriage is not a requirement for graduation and I would also appreciate it if I didn't hear about finding my eternal companion at every devotional and church meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika this is so true!! Haha I kind of got the feeling form the devotional that if we don't get married here we have no hope in life. I just want to get a degree! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha I also really love the way you signed this

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this article and I agree with your reasoning. However, I'm not sure where you came up with the figure of 20%. Did you take a poll? Anyways, I did like it. Good luck on finding a husband... Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hehe, I like how you ended with "happily single." I'm not sure where you came up with the 20% statistic either, but it does make your email seem more official, so good job :)

    ReplyDelete