Thursday, September 16, 2010

An Artist is Never Poor

Babette’s Feast was my first encounter with a Danish language film. I went with a good friend, who is a sarcastic movie-talker just like I am, so that worked out nicely. The first half of the movie was easy to make fun of, but as soon as Babette began cooking her very elaborate French feast, both of us stopped trying to be funny and just watched.

It was entrancing! The colors of the movie brightened and deepened. Before we had been learning about the austere Puritan life of two elderly spinster sisters, their story punctuated with flat colors and shots of a cold, wintery, desolate land. However, when Babette began cooking, rich reds and greens and browns and golds filled her kitchen. It was like a sumptuous feast for the senses. In a way, we as the audience were able to participate in that mouthwatering French meal.

However, what truly hit me about Babette’s Feast was the closing lines. Babette reveals that she had just spent her entire lottery earnings on food and dishes and wines, to the shock of Martine and Philippa, the elderly sisters. “But you will be poor for the rest of your life!” they exclaim. Then came my favorite line. Babette, glowing after finally being able to create food in a way fulfilling to her, squares her shoulders and says firmly:

“An artist is never poor.”

It reminded me of what I have been learning in my Civilization class, how art and economy are separate. One would think that Babette, as a former head chef, would view her cooking skills as a means for making money. But no! She’s a culinary artist.

I consider myself to be an artistic person, so I’ve been pondering. Do I feel the same? Do I feel that as long as I have this ability to create that I will never be poor? And the answer I believe is yes. Being able to create something that enriches the lives of others is so wholly fulfilling I cannot ever imagine feeling poor.

Those five words convinced me to love the movie. That small, tiny phrase contained so much wisdom I walked away from that theater with a new-found conviction to never feel poor again. Babette’s Feast was, all in all, an enriching experience, and I do believe I’ll be back to experience more International Cinema soon.

3 comments:

  1. I really liked how you not only analyzed the technical aspects of the film, but the message as well. I think I am going to see this on saturday so I will watch for that line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you made us question our own motives for creating. It made me think of my own abilities and valuing my talents because I can use them to "enrich the lives of others."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you start off by saying that you made fun of the movie and then describe the specific scene where you changed your mind. It drew me in to reading the rest of your post because I wanted to know what made the movie so entrancing.

    ReplyDelete