Thursday, September 30, 2010

Gold Isn't Everything

“Figure out what floats your boat and make sure it’s not gold because gold will sink your boat.” This silly phrase was said by my Biology 100 teacher, Riley Nelson. When I first heard him say it, I, like the rest of the class, burst out in laughter. My professor is known for saying some pretty senseless things, but I later realized that that statement actually has truth behind it. In today’s society, money seems to be everything. If you live in a big house, wear the most fashionable clothes, and drive the fastest car, you are admired. People will look at you and think that you are special. Although being rich may have its perks, those who are simply rich will not have the same satisfaction in life as those that are viewed as great. Instead of just having riches or fame, greatness is about demonstrating respectable characteristics while remaining humble in the process.

“To become truly great, one has to stand with people, not above them,” said Charles de Montesquieu. When I read this quote, it made me stop and think. Oftentimes, I think of prestigious men and women to be great because they have demonstrated extraordinary talents and abilities. But after examining their lives further, I realize that although they were in fact amazing people, they did not act superior to others because of it. Jefferson coined the phrase “all men are created equal” and although King Benjamin is a prime example of an ambitious servant of God, he reminded his people that he did “not desire to boast” (Mosiah 2:16.) Throughout history, there are countless examples of distinguished individuals who although accomplished great things, were humble in the process.

Today’s society has a perception that greatness is achieved by “being the best.” If you are the best football player, if you have the best clothes, if you get the best ACT score, you are great. However, people who should truly be considered great are those that demonstrate respectable characteristics while remaining humble at the same time.

4 comments:

  1. I like the idea that greatness doesn't just depend on what you do but how you react to your achievements. Humility is definitely an important factor! Also, this is just a little thing that you might want to change- instead of "I think of prestigious men and women to be great" I would maybe change it to "as being great."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the different angle from which you approached the topic. I thought your quotes added to the paper's message. While I was a little confused at how the opening paragraph tied in to the prompt, it all made sense by the end. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this angle! I completely agree. It reminds me of this quote by Maya Angelou:
    “You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don't make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their eyes off you."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked you insight - it's not about what you have, but what you do and how you do it.

    ReplyDelete