Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Variety of Dance

I came into the World of Dance concert thinking that I already knew everything there is to know about dance; I was very wrong. The first Romanian piece provided a sense of immediate professionalism. The dancers, all in perfect formation, performed with elegance, stomping and yelling in a synchronic manner. I was immediately sucked into the performance.

The World of Dance concert’s variety of dance types, costumes and musical numbers continually amazed me. I was intrigued with the immense variety of numbers chosen to represent the BYU dance team. Seeing the difference between ballet and contemporary; foreign and ballroom helped me understand the wide range of art that “dance” covers. Even the slight differences between ballroom numbers, such as the scooter performance, kept the concert lively and interesting. The assortment of numbers kept members of the audience on the edge of their seats, never knowing what was coming next.

The experience I had at World of Dance made me consider how many aspects of art I know nothing about. I began to rethink previously formed opinions, looking at art holistically, with a more open perspective. I then took this idea to another level, considering how many aspects of society and life I had never experienced or just outright knew nothing about. I began to think of the little art background I had, the little knowledge I had of foreign culture, the little knowledge I had even with politics in my own area. Watching this concert inspired me to decide to learn more about aspects of society I have little knowledge of at this time.

This concert, as a whole, helped me change my attitude concerning dance. Seeing the vast perspective covered in World of Dance as well as the interesting little twists added to many performances helped me better recognize many wonders of dance that I never knew about. Going to World of Dance introduced me to the importance of looking at dance, art and anything else I may not know much about, in a better way: more openly.

4 comments:

  1. I can see that the Sentence Styling exercises are kicking in for you! Ha! I agree with everything you said as well. I especially like how you linked this to real world situations. It's cool that this opened your mind and helped you think about a bigger picture. Take that to heart and go learn! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your take on the performance. It's cool have everyone took different things away from it. Openness is an important part of not only dance but life. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the positive feedback. I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I see something I'm not familiar with, like the contemporary numbers, it takes me a while to get used to it before I can like it. I need to work on seeing new things with an open mind and not with previous judgements.

    ReplyDelete