Thursday, September 23, 2010

So You Think You Can Dance?

I sat down to watch World of Dance, excited for the wide range of dance styles advertised and was not disappointed. While all the dancers performed very well - the folk dancers taking us to far away countries like Romania and Belgium and the contemporary dancers taking us through a forest - I was most impressed with the ballroom team. As a previous ballroom dancer, I was looking at their company with a sharper eye than the other groups, but they did not let me down. By far, the ballroom team had my favorite performances of the night.
Their numbers were always crisp, precise, and together. When choreographing ballroom, it’s not just about the six individuals; it’s about coming together first as a couple dancing as one and then as a team creating an overall effect. The dancers made it look so effortless, but as a dancer, I’ve learned that the art of precision is hard to master. Every movement was in sync with each other and with the music making each number come to life.
The variety in the ballroom numbers showcased their wide range of dancing. The opening Latin dance was fun and full of life; the standard waltz was graceful and fluid; the theatre arts was beautiful and awe-inspiring. The dancers caught the spirit of each style and danced it beautifully. The costumes that were chosen matched the dances and added to the overall effect. The bright costumes of the Latin dance were bright and eye catchy while the waltz dresses fanned out gracefully as they spun across the floor.
Overall, World of Dance was a great showcase of BYU’s dance department; but, for me, the ballroom team stole the show and left all the other dancers in the dust. By the end of the performance, I realized that all who performed definitely proved that they could dance.

2 comments:

  1. I loved the ballroom numbers too! They were definitely very precise. It's interesting to hear what you thought of it coming from a background in dance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ballroom was my favorite as well. I liked your technical critique rather than a critique from a more emotional standpoint.

    ReplyDelete