Monday, September 20, 2010

The Better Part of Dance

Spencer Tolson

Katherine Cowley

Writing 150 Honors: Writing and Rhetoric

21 September 2010

The Better Part of Dance

The only part of the World of Dance show I was excited about was that it only cost two dollars with my freshman pass. I showed up, expecting to have to fight my sleeplessness of the night before with tooth and nail. However, from the first performance, I was enthralled. The costumes, moves, and music of all the performances captured my attention. My weariness disappeared as fast as the dancers were moving their feet and slapping their sticks. I absolutely loved all the variety of all the dances. ‘World of Dance’ was an appropriate name for the show. My favorite piece was ‘Kaboom.’ It featured only six dancers, which stood out from other dances. Also, instead of reminding me of a dance maybe performed in a warm bar on a cold night in Russia, I was reminded of a night in New York City. It was so interesting how the music and the choice of background could influence my feelings like that. The background had several tall building with lights on in the windows, as if it was nighttime. Also, the music was fast and very appropriate for the type of dance. It was the dance that influenced me the most. The dancers looked like they were having fun. Smiling at each other, and smiling at the audience, I could not help but smile myself. It was just a fun, upbeat dance. I wanted to get up and start dancing myself. The choice of costumes for this dance was also very appropriate for it. Classy dress ups matched it up. Another thing that struck me was that dance can be serious or hilarious. Much of the foreign dance was intense and serious. I felt the dancers took their role seriously and tried to portray their parts with respect for the country the dance was from. The other end of the spectrum was also reached when male dancers led their blown up counterparts through the steps on scooters. I truly loved how this performance led me to serious dances, funny dances, and classy dances. I think I will keep an eye out now for performances such as these for my own viewing.

3 comments:

  1. I agree about the Kaboom piece. It had so much energy and the combination of the costumes, the dancing, the performer's expressions, and the backdrop was overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way that you describe the way that background led you to a feeling that could be described 'as if' you were there. The background influence it had was nearly indescribable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you describe Kaboom as taking place in New York rather than a warm bar in Russia. Super descriptive. It shows that World of Dance did indeed feature dances from all over the world.

    ReplyDelete