Monday, October 18, 2010

Winning the Hearts of Women

I like to consider myself a loyal Dove customer, and I probably always will. If their NutriumMoisture body wash hadn’t already convinced me, Dove’s campaign for Real Beauty probably would have done the trick. Sure, a part of me knows that getting customers is the real angle, but the rest of me doesn’t care. While I like to think I made it out of high school with a reasonable amount of self-esteem still intact, I’ve seen the effects that worldly expectations can have on women both young and old. The more I explored the campaign’s website, the more I could feel the sincerity of the campaign. I am sure that many companies focus their media messages on young girls in the hopes that they will grow to buy their products or read their magazines, unconcerned with the effect these messages will have on their intended audience. Dove, however, focuses a great deal of the campaign on the self-esteem and mental well -being of young girls, providing them with real tools to combat the onslaught of negative and unrealistic images. By understanding the real needs of their audience, Dove has won the hearts of daughters and mothers alike, resulting in both moral and monetary success.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree that Dove's approach to advertising is much different than other companies' approaches-and I think it's extremely effective just because they're the only ones doing it and it actually has a meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I like how you say that although the focus is on young girls, it still applies to women of all ages.

    ReplyDelete