Monday, October 18, 2010

I was very interested when I read the article where the Church responded to a HRC petition. I was scrolling through Facebook last Tuesday, and saw a link for the article on one of my friend’s pages. Having no idea what it was about, I clicked on the link, read the article, and was shocked. I didn’t even know there was a controversial issue going on. I personally think that things were blown a little bit out of proportion, but I was nevertheless impressed by the way the Church handled the situation. The spokesman, Michael Otterson, used a variety of tactics to make it seem as though the Church meant no harm. He stated that although we strongly believe in principles regarding marriage and sexual relations outside of marriage, those beliefs are not justification to be unkind to others with different viewpoints. He blatantly said that our Church’s doctrine is based on love and the ability to make our own decisions. Otterson seemed to be very direct in stating what our Church believes in, but also clarified that everyone has the ability to believe in their own things too.

No comments:

Post a Comment