Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cake Wrecks

I have been a fan of the blog Cake Wrecks since my friend showed it to me about a year ago. Since then, I’ve followed and laughed with each post, enjoying the photos of ridiculous cake mistakes and the very witty writing that went along with them. While the blog would probably could stand with the photos alone, it’s the commentary that really makes the place hilarious. Jen Yates, the brilliance behind the blog, writes for a large audience because of the wide appeal of grossly mis-decorated cakes. However, the blog has a predominantly-female audience, most of whom are in their 20s to 30s (I base these statistics off of a Cake Wrecks event I attended in Salt Lake). Yates’ posts don’t just show photos. She often breaks them down, offering sarcastic analysis of why the cake is so bad. Often times, the cake only becomes funny because of her writing. This is where rhetoric comes in. Some of the favorite posts are funny because Yates made them that way.

7 comments:

  1. I like how you emphasize that the reason the blog is effective is because of the author's rhetoric. Also, the explanation of the ages of the audience explains much of the appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go check it out now! YOu made a good point saying that her message is conveyed in both the pictures and the commentary that follows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an interesting take on this blog. I like the descriptions of what it is, helping the reader to understand better why it appeals to the audience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting observation that some of the pictures wouldn't be funny if not for the author's commentary. This makes me want to go look at the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the deduction you made on the audience demographics (and especially how you based it off of personal experience)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cake! Have you ever seen the cake competition shows on the Food channel? Way great! I'll have to read this now because it sounds really interesting. I liked how you mentioned "how" she used rhetoric in her analysis of the cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha that sounds funny. I like how you are able to pull from the commentary as opposed to just focusing on the pictures.

    ReplyDelete