Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Choice of Happiness

Spencer Tolson

Katherine Cowley

Writing 150 Honors: Writing and Rhetoric

12 October 2010

Life is Beautiful

Personal Reflection- Life is Beautiful left me with so many emotions swirling through my brain. A truly great movie, it has inspired me in many ways. As a college student, I am sometimes discouraged or depressed about how much I have ahead of me to do, or have feelings of inadequacy. By watching this movie, I realize that it is a choice to go on. Guido had all odds against him as he went through the traumatic experience of being a Jew during WWII. However, not only did he himself put on a brave face, but through this brave face he protected this son and cared for him when he had so little. He shared food when he had so little. He risked everything to help his child. This in and of itself is inspiring. The way he did so is truly the most amazing part. As a viewer, I found myself laughing out loud at his antics during his experience in the war camp. He turns a worst case scenario into a heroic story just by being the happiest he could be. This proves that happiness is a choice, not a reflection of our surrounding. As Guido does die in the movie, he will never die within me. When the going gets tough, I will put on my best smile and face it head on.

4 comments:

  1. This movie sounds very emotional and inspiring. Good expression of your emotions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love how you said that happiness is a choice. It so is. If you roll out of bed in the morning thinking about how miserable your day will be, you will have a miserable day. However, if you try to have a good attitude, you will be able to see the good in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a really inspirational movie! It really makes you appreciate how lucky you are when you think about everything people during WWII had to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the way you describe this movie. It sounds like a must-see.

    ReplyDelete